Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is always on the cutting edge of nutrition. I trust his integrity and commitment. He’s amazing.
He’s the first doctor I came across in the ’90’s using the term and concept of High Nutrient Dense foods. He now refers to them as High Nutrient foods and is discussing how eating them creates natural weight loss. I’ve had years of experience eating his High Nutrient food plan, supporting others to do the same, and seeing how they did indeed lose excess weight naturally.
Dr. Fuhrman has recently been talking about the 5 things to eat consistently each day to improve health. Try these and you’ll find they not only taste delicious but also change the way you look and feel.
5 Things To Eat Each Day
- Eat a big salad daily and include some cruciferous veggies like baby kale, cabbage, arugula, or watercress. Cruciferous veggies are the cabbage family of foods and give the body lots of micronutrients that take cravings away and generate health. Bill and I always add raw cruciferous vegetables to our cooked greens and veggies. According to Fuhrman, raw cruciferous, such as raw cabbage, helps the body utilize the nutrients in cooked greens and veggies.
- 1/4 cup of raw nuts or seeds. These provide a healthy fat that is burned slowly in the body because of the fiber in the nuts and seeds. “Free” oil, or oil without the fiber of the olive or sunflower seed it’s made from, creates a flood of calories for the body to deal with, taxes the liver and promotes weight gain. The recipe I share below is how to create a salad dressing from nuts and seeds that is totally delicious. Try it yourself and see.
- 1/2 cup beans or lentils. These little gems contain as much protein as red meat and they ratchet down our appetite. So they’re not only tremendously healthy, they’re also a great weight loss food. Dr. Fuhrman suggests you use animal protein in very small amounts, occasionally as a flavoring for a vegetable dish. Research on the longest-lived peoples on our planet shows they use no animal protein except for a few who eat fish from very clean waters.
- Enjoy a large serving of steamed greens daily. We always have a large serving of greens at lunch and a big salad for dinner. We love how it tastes and most of all how healthy we are–free from colds, flu or other common conditions.
- Mushrooms (cooked) and onions (cooked or raw) are important foods for health. Mushrooms are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.
Well there you are, 5 things that can begin to transform your health and help support weight loss if you have some extra pounds. If adding all 5 at once seems like too much, try adding one thing a week and integrate it into your daily diet. Let your body show you what happens when you begin to eat High Nutrient foods full of micro nutrients. Micro nutrients are vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, etc.–all the tiny nutrients that are the most important to generate great health and natural weight loss.
Let me know in the Comments below if you have questions or want to share your experience.
To Your Amazing Health,
Nut And Seed Salad Dressing
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 1/2 cups water
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 large garlic clove, peel and cut in half
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
sea salt (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
ground black pepper to taste (I use 1/4 teaspoon)
Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend several minutes until creamy. Put in a jar in the refrigerator and enjoy on salads and cooked greens. Yes!